For the Disquiet Junto:
My process in creating the "baseline" rhythm was to study the picture, in particular the top row, and look at the subdivisions therein. From the subdivisions I decided upon what would represent a "beat" for me and made those attacks a kick drum with additional noise and tonal elements built on top of it. I tried to vary the attack velocity based on the EEG readout to create some variety. It ended up being a bit more random than expected, but still musical in its own, more organic way. After this I added some "melodic" elements that are maybe less than melodic, but simultaneously created texture and melodic components. Finally, I automated the additional tonal and textural elements that were part of the kick drum and tried to shape the overall piece into something listenable and pleasant.
More on this 120th Disquiet Junto project — “Write a song based on the heartbeat of Marcel Duchamp” — at:
More on the Disquiet Junto at:
Join the Disquiet Junto at:
Photo associated with this Junto project sourced from the following URL, which notes “Image – margins cropped for clarity – is courtesy the artist, P! and Simone Subal Gallery”: