Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Day 235: Spaced Out

As someone famous never said "I like my music like I like my women:  LONG, SLOW, AND AMBIENT."

As I continue my daily experiments with the Malstrom synthesizer unit I'm coming to appreciate it a little more.  Working with it takes a little more "effort" than Thor or Subtractor.  If you put some thought behind your decisions then the machine yields some stupendous sounds.  With Thor and Subtractor I frequently twiddle knobs and play with random routing to see how it comes out.  Malstrom requires a little more finesse.

This piece has a strong Brian Eno influence to it, although it didn't start out that way.  The synth stab you hear at the beginning was the start, which, to me, is very un-Eno-like.  It evolved into this kind of noisy ambient piece you hear here over a few days work.


No comments:

Post a Comment